Have you ever wondered what Christians in other denominations believe about the Bible or how they understand various subjects such as salvation, the church, or the return of Christ? Perhaps you are curious as to how certain groups such as Catholics, Presbyterians, Methodists, Pentecostals, Anglicans, or Lutherans developed historically and how they differ from each other doctrinally. Or at a more personal level, maybe you were raised in a particular denomination or have been part of several over the years and now you are confused about what makes them distinct as well as how they differ from Baptist Churches. If any of these factors are true for you, then this course will be helpful. In this class, we will provide a survey of how several major denominations emerged historically and examine what they affirm regarding major doctrines of the Christian faith. By doing this, we will see what each group shares in common as well as identify some of the considerable differences that they presently maintain.
- Week 1: Surveying Denominations (Part 1): Historical Roots of Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Anglicans, and Baptists
- Week 2: Surveying Denominations (Part 2): Historical Roots of Lutherans, Presbyterians, and Methodists
- Week 3: Surveying Denominations (Part 3): Historical Roots of Pentecostals, Churches of Christ, and Bible Churches
- Week 4: What do denominations believe about how someone becomes a Christian?
- Week 5: What do denominations believe about the sovereignty of God in salvation?
- Week 6: What do denominations believe about how someone remains a Christian?
- Week 7: What do denominations believe about church government, baptism, and the Lord’s Supper?
- Week 8: What do denominations believe about the return of Christ?
Meeting ID: 882 2229 2359